Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Stories from dear friends

Hugh Martin
I can't tell you how grateful I am for letting me know about the death of Raymond Lieberman. I lost track of him during the last few years, but we had a wonderful friendship before that happened. Ray and I had a lot of laughs together (he had a great sense of humor) but as you know he had his serious side also and I'd admired him for that.

I wish that I could attend the gathering of his friends and family but I'm 95 years old now and I don't travel anymore. Again, thanks so much for the sad information and for the lovely things you said about him.

Wendy Munger
I am one of what must have been many people whose names were in Raymond's files, and who received your wonderful Raymond story. I don't know if I'll be able to come to the celebration on May 22, but I want you to know how much I loved getting your letter. You did him justice, which was not easy to do. He was a friend of my mother, who died in 2002, and I talked to him only a few times after that, but every time I did, he made me laugh and he made me think. I am so happy to know that he had a friend like you, who was in turn so happy to have a friend like him. If each person who got your letter reacted to it the way I did, you have brought great happiness to a large number of people. Thank you so much for taking the time to write us.

Tom Peters
Raymond was a man with whom I became well acquainted during difficult times in his life. He was always affable, interested and interesting even when the time came that we saw each other less frequently. Raymond was truly a man of many voices. He could always surprise and sometimes disappoint, but always he was empathic, helpful and a dear friend to many. Here is to Raymond: May his memory always delight, and remind us of his many "Raymond" stories!

Melinda Peters
I knew Raymond only through our coincidentally same LA Chamber Music series. He was always so gracious and almost old world charming. However brief our contact, he had a way of making me feel special, and I suspect he was similar with many who have come to celebrate him. I am sorry not to have known Raymond better, but am pleased he touched my life.

Barbara Silverman
My friendship with Raymond was different from any other relationship I have ever had. There was never any judgment. We were extremely honest with each other.

Raymond was one of the smartest men I ever met--while at the same time being naive about so many things. He taught me about opera, literature, plays and politics without ever sounding one bit pompous. He questioned my judgment as I questioned his knowledge. We were very comfortable together and spoke at least five times a week.

I will miss him, but I will always know what a good friend truly is and feel blessed to have been able to share these last years with him. Rest easy my friend.